I was honored to speak on Mother’s Day this past Sunday!
My word to you is: KEEP GOING! We, as the church need to KEEP GOING! We can’t stop now!
KEEP GOING – Do not grow weary in well doing!
KEEP GOING – Keep running your race and run to win!
KEEP GOING – You must press in and press on!
KEEP GOING – You MUST NOT be moved by circumstances!
KEEP GOING – You are equipped! God wants to use you as the solution.
KEEP GOING – Because Jesus paid for us – We belong to Him!
KEEP GOING – Your strength abounds in Him!
If you’re tired, weary, overwhelmed, undone, or discouraged, Jesus is encouraging you; He loves you; cares for you, and is seeing to it that you make it!! HE WANTS US TO MAKE IT! In 2 Thessalonians 3:13 (AMP) it says: “And as for you brethren, do not become weary or lose heart in doing right [but continue in well-doing without weakening].”
Did you know that the word weary means: Being reluctant to see or experience any more of; tired of. (of something…) ? What are you reluctant to see any more of? What are you tired of? What is it that you do not want to experience any more of? It could be sickness, financial difficulties, relationship problems, marriage difficulties, stress, work problems, and the list can go on and on!
Personally, I have felt weary in the last few weeks – sometimes spiritually weary; weary and tired of fear that would like to take over; sometimes weary of all of life’s tasks and demands. As human beings, we can become reluctant to experience any more of something – especially negative circumstances. And rightly so – we want everything to be good, to be fine. We do not want any problems, troubles, or burdens. But God doesn’t want us to stay or operate in that state of weariness. His strength is made perfect in our weakness – in our weariness. He’s powerful! He’s personal! He’s present! He wants us to be encouraged and reminded TO KEEP GOING! Our purpose and destiny is on the line. He has given us the tools we need to KEEP GOING!!
So how do we KEEP GOING? It’s found in the race that Jesus has set before us to run! The answer is found in the very One who has already won this race for us! He is our example! We are to learn from Him! I love this passage of Scripture in Hebrews in the Amplified Bible:
Hebrews 12:1-3 (amplified Bible) 1. Therefore then, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses [who have borne testimony to the TRUTH] let us strip off and throw aside every encumbrance (unnecessary weight) and that sin which so readily (deftly and cleverly) clings to and entangles us, and let us run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that is set before us. 2. Looking AWAY [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith [giving the first incentive for our belief] and is also its Finisher [bringing it to maturity and perfection]. He, for the joy [of obtaining the prize] that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising and ignoring the shame, and is now seated at the right hand of the throne of God. 3. Just think of Him who endured from sinners such grievous opposition AND bitter hostility against Himself [reckon up and consider it all in comparison with your trials], so that you may NOT grow weary or exhausted, losing heart and relaxing and fainting in your minds.
Here’s some keys from this passage:
*For the diligent runner or faithful Christian, these weights must be removed. (A runner isn’t going to be weighted down with heavy clothing and backpacks etc.) What are the unnecessary weights in your life that need to be removed? *We are to PUT OFF those entangling sins. (I picture our feet and legs being tangled up in some sort of string or rope etc. We can’t move.) These sins are clever in attaching to us. *We run with patience – endurance – and active persistence! *And then JESUS! He’s the leader and source – the AUTHOR and FINISHER of our faith. He gave us the first incentive for our belief! He has already blazed the trail and finished the course – finished the race. He now requires the same of you and me. He’s already put the beginning and ending of that same faith in you and me. Jesus literally handed off the baton to us upon His resurrection. Now it is up to us to continue the race until He returns.
And Isaiah talks powerfully of how the Lord is strong! How HE does NOT grow weary! This is meant to help us KEEP GOING! Isaiah 40:28-31 – Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, does NOT FAINT or GROW WEARY; there is no searching of His understanding. He gives power to the faint AND weary, and to him who has no might He increases strength [causing it to multiply and making it to abound]
Also 2 Cor. 12:9 Even youths shall faint and be weary and [selected] young men shall feebly stumble and fall exhausted. BUT those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall RUN and not be weary, they shall walk, and not faint OR become tired. (Also, Hebrews 12:1-3)
Those who wait for the Lord – will change! Wow I love that!
WE MUST KEEP GOING! We have to literally take God at His word here! We have to do what He says – He will strengthen us and we will CHANGE upon waiting for Him and being in His presence!!
I love this quote by Joni Eareckson Tada: The weaker I am, the harder I must lean on Jesus; the harder I lean, the stronger I discover Him to be!
And in closing, here are some basic things that I have really been implementing into my own life to KEEP GOING! To stay strong in Him and counter act weariness.
1. We must not allow the devil to have the upper hand – to control the shots! To push us around. (James 4:7: Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.)
2. We must press into God’s presence. We must spend time there. We must seek Him. We must pursue Him. (Psalm 16:11: Thou wilt show me the path of life: in Thy presence is fullness of joy; at thy right hand, there are pleasures for evermore.)
3. We must stand strong with the armor of God! Be persistent – stand strong – go on the offensive! We must PUT THIS ARMOR ON DAILY! (Ephesians 6:11-17 – Necessary and vital to withstand the wiles of the devil. – In this RACE, we’re dealing in the spirit realm – Vs. 12 – “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”)
4. We must not step off the track. At times, we want to step off the track – we get weary – exhaustion can set in. BUT RUN YOUR RACE TO WIN!! (1 Corinthians 9:24-25 – We do it for an incorruptible prize.)
5. We must live consecrated lives unto the Lord. (Romans 12:1-2 / 1 Peter 2:9-10 – Holy, set- apart only for Him – living lives that please Him.) What kind of Bride will we be upon Jesus’ arrival? Are we tainted with the “world”? Jesus does not want a weak church – He wants a strong church! He does not want His Bride tainted by the world. No! We want to attract the dying world to Him – not turn it away or bring confusion to it, by how we live and run this race; by whether or not we decide to KEEP GOING! THE WORLD IS WATCHING!
These are NOT days to grow weary. These are NOT days to shrink back. It can be tempting to do so. Rather, let us press in to this ALL-POWERFUL GOD! Let us LOOK TO HIM to help us to “put off” every-thing that derails us, entangles us, binds us, holds us back, trips us up, and knocks us down.
We are the body of Christ. We are here to help each other run and win this race. We are here to help each other KEEP GOING!